You may have heard about it on the news, or read about the dangers of black mold online. These reports and articles can be scary and confusing! It’s better to get the base facts to better understand mold.

Black mold also known as, Stachybotrys chartarum, is the type of mold often called black mold, and it creates allergens and irritants. No matter what type of mold, treat it with caution. Stay out of affected areas with poor ventilation, and don’t touch or disturb the mold.

In under 48 hours, mold can become a major problem in your home or structure when water has intruded in the form of a roof leak, or a water line leak. Mold can cause severe adverse health effects and can also cause major damage to your property.

Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should probably contact a professional regardless of the color or type of mold. We are certified with all forms of mold removal and remediation. Don’t hesitate to give us a call. Keep in mind, multiple types of mold may exist in your home or structure.

Special precautions need to be taken when addressing black mold in your home, and very few homeowners have the tools and resources needed to ensure the safe removal, and remediation process. Even minimal exposure to mold during the process can lead to health issues for you, or your family.

Black mold is known to cause chronic coughing and sneezing, respiratory irritation, rashes, fatigue, and headaches. In extreme cases, an allergic reaction to mold spores can cause vomiting, nausea, and bleeding within your lungs and nose! It just isn’t worth the risks of handling the problem without professional assistance.

If you do experience a mold problem in your home or business you need to understand it can pose a greater risk to children, older people, and anyone with respiratory complications. A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall, within curtains, or under carpeting. As mentioned previously, keep out of the affected areas, turn off your HVAC system and fans so as to not circulate the mold spores, and contact a professional for mold remediation services.

To avoid spreading the mold, or causing further illness, don’t touch or disturb the mold. Don’t blow air across any surfaces that have visible mold growth, or areas you are suspect contains mold. Never attempt to dry the area yourself, and finally, don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.

Some homeowners will attempt a DIY mold removal. Choosing to handle removal on your own can result in making the situation worse by releasing mold spores, which can spread if not properly contained. This will make the problem a much larger issue. Mold is also notorious for hiding in hard-to-reach places. While you may be able to remove the obvious growth of mold, you may miss areas that require special tools and treatment for full removal and remediation. Mentioning tools, mold specialists use a variety of certified equipment and protection gear to handle black mold. Without the equipment, you may put yourself, and your family, at greater risk.

It is important for the safety of you and your family that you call a mold professional if you suspect mold has begun to infest your home. Even the most cautious of DIYers can spread the growth unknowingly, allowing the mold to get a stronger foothold in their home, while increasing the risk of hazardous exposure.

To save yourself the trouble, and protect your family’s health, don’t hesitate to contact our certified team who can effectively and safely remove your home’s mold infestation.